Friday, February 29, 2008

Oscar armchair quarterback

I don't think any of the Oscar observers have said it yet, so I will: Oscar skewed young this year. Forget about Oscars for older sentimental favorites like Ruby Dee and Hal Holbrook. (Needless to say, I was disappointed Ruby Dee didn't win.) The (reportedly) relentlessly violent "No Country for Old Men" took home the most Oscars. The song from "Once," "Falling Slowly," beat out the Disney juggernaut and the gospel-influenced "Raise Me Up" from "August Rush." (Nice touch from Jon Stewart offering the female co-writer of "Falling Slowly" to finish her acceptance speech!)

I thought that if Ruby Dee didn't win, Amy Ryan from "Gone, Baby, Gone" would take it. Tilda Swinton from "Michael Clayton" was a huge surprise. (Next time, Tilda, wear something other than a Glad garbage bag.)

Marion Cotillard from "La Vie en Rose" was a wonderful surprise. Too many Oscar observers thought Julie Christie would take it for "Away from Her." But from what I saw of Cotillard's performance as Edith Piaf, she earned it. And she was so refreshing in her acceptance speech.

I'm glad Daniel Day-Lewis won for "There Will Be Blood" and Javier BardemQué caliente!) for his portrayal of one of the scariest movie villains in film history in "No Country."

Diablo Cody earned her Oscar for her crackling dialogue in "Juno." I'm not going to ding her for her leopard-print gown. She's glad to be accepted as she is.

Well, that's my take.

Writing Diva

No comments: